Are you confident your home’s wiring is up to date? If not, you could be at risk for a fire. Outdated wiring is one of the leading causes of house fires in the United States. Some people don’t think much about it, but your home’s wiring plays an important role in keeping you and your family safe. 

It might be a big investment, but your loved one’s safety is worth it. In this blog post, we will help homeowners identify signs their homes’ wiring need updating. Keep on reading!

7 Signs Your Home’s Wiring Needs Updating

Here are seven signs to look for that indicate your home’s wiring may need to be updated:

  • Old Wiring:

When a house was built more than 40 years ago, there’s a good chance the wiring is outdated. A vintage look makes a house feel homey; however, some houses built long ago aren’t designed for today’s electrical needs. If you know your wiring hasn’t been changed in decades, it’s time for an update!

  • Aluminum Wiring:

Construction companies used aluminum wiring in homes built between the 60s and 70s. While it is not as dangerous as old wiring, it can still pose a fire hazard. Some chances aren’t worth taking. You must request an electrical inspection from a professional to confirm if aluminum wiring was used in your home.

  • Flickering Lights:

If your lightbulbs have been twisted properly and your lights are still flickering, it may be a sign of loose wiring. Flickering lights can happen when the wires expand and contract due to temperature changes, which is a serious issue because loose wiring can cause an electrical fire.

  • Insufficient Number of Outlets:

If extension cords are a must around your home, it is a sign that you do not have enough outlets. The use of many extension cords can be a fire hazard if the cords are not used properly. It’s important to optimize the usage of your electrical wiring supplies to avoid any problems.

  • Burning Smells:

Burning smells coming from your outlets or switches indicate electrical problems. This is caused by loose wiring and should be fixed immediately. If you constantly sense a burning smell in your home, and it isn’t coming from your outlets, it may be coming from inside your walls! Please beware and contact a professional electric company.

  • Discolored Outlets & Switches:

Brown or black marks around outlets and switches are another sign of electrical problems. This happens when the wires overheat due to too much current flowing through them. If your outlets or switches are hot to the touch, they are overloaded and can cause an electrical fire, so please be cautious.

  • Frequently Tripped Circuit Breaker:

Circuit breakers tripping frequently could be a sign of overloaded circuits. This happens when too much current is flowing.

The Finest Construction And Electric Services

Is your home’s wiring looking a little outdated? Don’t worry; we can help! Ridout Lumber is the best place to go for all of your household electrical supplies needs. We have half a century of experience in this field, and our team is dedicated to providing high-quality services at competitive prices.

Faulty wiring can create serious safety hazards in your home and lead to decreased energy efficiency and higher electric bills. If you’re experiencing electric problems in your home or just looking for electrical supply stores in Arkansas, it’s time to call Ridout Lumber. Fill out our form today, and one of our experts will be in touch soon!